We are number 1 on google search under key word salsa in dc and salsa in washington dc

Here's 3 reasons why you should advertise on www.stuckonsalsa.com We are number 1 on yahoo search under key words salsa in washington dc
[ Yahoo! ] options
We are number 1 on google search under key words salsa in dc and salsa in washington dc
Google
we are number 1 on MSN search under key words salsa in dc and salsa in washington dc

MSN

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

GoGo Earl's Review on the music at CK Grand Opening

I Have known Bruno for over 10 years and I tell every one all the time , they don't know Bruno like I know him . Back in the day Bruno was in a situation where he could play whatever he wanted and maybe I was lucky that what he felt like playing made me want to dance. But through the years times change, politics change , the scene changes and a crowd pretty much dictates what the dj plays if the DJ wants to be good and listen and be in tuned to his crowd. The party is not about the DJ it's about the dancers.

I still think Bruno is a great DJ but he will never be able to play in the commercial establishments like he can at a private party or like he played when I first met him at Latin Jazz Alley.

Bruno has been holding down Zanzibar for 8 years and Clarendon for 7 so regardless so no matter what I say, he has to be doing something right. He has been associated with the 2 best salsa dance clubs here in DC for a long time.He was invited to play at the West Coast Salsa Congress by Albert Torres, Also a club could not have longevity if the music isn't right.

I always wondered does the dancers have an effect on a DJ and I am pretty sure after Saturday night I know they do. Now one problem with me is I feel that there are thousands of songs to dance to so I don't believe the DJ should ever have a bad day . Now every one has a bad day , it's only human but I don't believe it. Let me get to the point. I have been to Clarendon Grill and some songs Bruno might have played I didn't like but hello the whole salsa world doesn't revolve around me.

But at a DC Salsa Congress or a CK Social where there are a lot of good dancers Bruno has never played a song I didn't like.On Saturday I felt like I was in a time capsule .Bruno was playing like I had first heard him 10 years ago. I was in Salsa/Mambo heaven. he was playing that music that just made you just go grab some one and dance. He was on point the whole night.


Now I have known Jon Trevino for a couple of years now. He took a couple of Classes along with Tess and Emma with me when he first started out at H20 . Yes I guess you can say I helped Jon become the guy you know see on Nuevotec in the SOS 4 year Anniversary Gallery.

Jon Trevino who is a very young man but is strictly Hard core Old school and he wears it like a badge and is damn proud of it. He has not been DJing long but he has a vast collection of old school music and he studies his craft hard. Jon has nor been dancing that long either but he can hold his own and dance with any level social dancer . But it takes more than a collection of songs and studying your craft to become a good dj. It takes time and experience. One thing about Jon is he is hard headed , I can say Jon you have to play something a little commercial and he would say okay and play about 7 songs from the early to late 50's by some mambo legends.

Jon is breaking into a field in a city where there are over 12 djs capable of rocking a house. so you have to try to carve your own niche . John's is he is hard core,willing to take chances and play something no one has dared to play , he has a phobia about people saying he plays it safe. Experience is important.

Though hard headed he has shown sides of listening and taking people's advice. Obviously I think Jon can play or he would not play at a StuckOnSalsa Party, let's not get crazy.But in trying to be obscure, Jon sometimes gets caught up in the music and his collection which sometimes has a tempo that is not good for Mambo or Salsa Dancing . I don't care what you say some of the old school stuff you just can't dance too . It's too fast.

Now Shaka gave Jon a shot on Friday night at the DC Salsa Congress and in my opinion Jon played too many songs that were too fast to dance too. I walked around asking people like Karen and Nelson and others what was wrong with Jon. I think maybe he got too excited. I complained to Shaka and he looked at me like quit complaining Earl and walked away. Jon was in a high pressure situation . But there have been times before when his songs in my opinion were too fast. I know he is just starting and I know he will learn. Well word of me and a few others complaining about the songs being too fast must have gotten back to Jon because the next night all his songs were danceable.


On Saturday night at the CK Grand Opening . Jon Trevino proved my point. You can play old school salsa that people can dance to all night long. I don't know whether he was playing with DC DJ legend DJ Bruno, the excitement of a new studio , the dancers or what but Jon Trevino was smoking. He was playing that salsa and mambo that made you feel like sitting down was the last thing you were thinking about. He was in a salsa/mambo zone the other night, he could do no wrong . It was the best I have ever heard him play. If he plays like that consistently , I might turn into a old school head myself. Jon's selections were salsa trance like. He went through a 53 minute stretch that was just insane . Salsa Shout out to Jon Trevino On Saturday you and DJ Bruno rocked the salsa house

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the salsa shout out Earl. I just want to say that I welcome all the comments you've made about my music, I have to if I want to get better :).